You may need to complete a survey to view the full content of this page.
And The Winner Is…
Vesta DOB 08/01/72
Thank you so much to everyone who took part.
1. How many days are there in the month of July ? – 31
2. What is the capital city of Canada ? – Ottawa
3. What day is Christmas Day this year (2019) ? – Wednesday
4. In what year did the UK TV channel ‘Channel 5’ launch ? – 1997
5. ‘Mums Love It’ has been used as a slogan for which food retailer ? – Iceland
6. The UK towns of Bootle and Birkenhead sit on which river ? – Mersey
7. Which sign of the Zodiac is represented by the Scales ? – Libra
8. Which US state has the abbreviation of FL ? – Florida
9. In which country is the wine growing region of Malbrough ? – New Zealand
10. PVG is the airport code for the main airport in which Asian City ? – Shanghai
11. Encore was a 2004 album which rapper ? – Eminem
12. In the traditional rhyme, how many mice were blind ? – Three
13. Which sea creature has three hearts ? – Octopus
14. What is the world’s most populated country ? – China
15. What is the atomic number of oxygen ? – 8
16. How many days in total are there in August and September combined ? – 61
17. What is the highest number used in a Sudoku puzzle ? – 9
18. What is placed into a pocket of beef in order to make a “carpetbag steak” ? – Oysters
19. Which Australian city is considered to have the largest Greek population outside of Greece ? – Melbourne
20. What chemical element is also known as hydrargyrum ? – Mercury
21. What is the only European country to routinely apply the death penalty ? – Belarus
22. What number is a bakers dozen ? – 13
23. When John was twenty his mother was twice his age. How old is his mother when John is thirty ? – 50
24. In which county would you find the River Wyre ? – Lancashire
25. How many days are there in February 2020 ? – 29
26. With what is the Belgian beer Kriek flavoured ? – Cherries
27. Who wrote the BBC TV series ‘Bread’ ? – Carla Lane
28. Who is the current UK Prime Minister ? – Boris Johnson
29. Peter Parker is the alter ego of which fictional superhero ? – Spider Man
30. What is a group of ferrets called ? – Business (or Busyness or Fesnyng)
31. What day of the week is New Years Day 2020 ? – Wednesday
July 2019 Quiz – Win £10
This month we are having a quiz. Each day in January a different question will be displayed below. You just need to answer the question. If you manage to answer a question correctly you will receive 2 entries into the draw. If you manage to guess the answer correctly you will receive 2 entries into the draw. If you get it wrong you will receive 1 entry (just for giving it a try). All entries will be pooled at the end of the month and one winner drawn at random.
The competition started on 1st July 2019 and runs until the end of the month. The last one will be shown on 31st July 2019, with the winner being announced here on 1st August 2019 at 11am. The winner will then have 24 hours to claim their £10 cash prize.
OOO so close to my DOB. Well done Vesta
Congratulations Vesta, Well Done!
There are several answers & a couple of different spellings for today’s ferret question, hope they all get accepted
Succumbed to temptation on today’s. Put the name I usually use for the PM.
So, was ‘BoJo the clown’ an acceptable answer?
Ah, turns out much tamer than the ones that sprang to my mind when I read your first comment… 😉
That is the one I use in polite company.
Come on phil, we know there could of been another possible answer to yesterdays question, what was it? Lol 😂 👍
Very broad lancashire, so im rite. Looks like trouble at mill, o’yonder with that phil. 😂 lol
I didn’t expect the Spanish Inquisition.
Hmmmm…. I usually do the comps just after 11.00 and I could have sworn that yesterday’s question said “country.” which I thought was a bit odd so that was the question I answered. Was this a typo which was subsequently corrected? Just curious!
Hi Janice. No, no corrections. It always said county. If you got the answer wrong you will still receive one point for trying. Good Luck, Daniel.
Thanks for replying. My trip to the opticians was always overdue and now confirmed. One wrong won’t do so much damage I guess, I will just have to pay better attention!
I read it as country at first too but stopped myself just in time.
🦋Hi Janice, I can verify that the number 24 question definitely said “ county “ as Daniel confirmed. I did check it a couple of times before putting the correct answer as I didn’t want to put the wrong one !😂😂 At least you get 1 point for trying. Good luck !🤞🍀🦋
I asked my husband where the river was as he is really good at geography. I checked, he got it wrong (he says there must be more than one lol)
theres an Afon Wyre in wales which in english means river wyre
I can’t believe I fell into the trap when answering the question about John and his mother! I put 60 instead of 50! Oh the shame!
The oldest math trick in the book, I think most of us have done it at least once when answering that question. haha
Finally, one I knew the answer to. (And yes Phil, I do know you should never end a sentence with a preposition)
I assume you mean standard sudoku puzzle?
I have played variants with between 6 and 15 numbers.
I also momentarily pondered over the answer but the other variants are not plainly called ‘sudoku’ they are called mini sudoku, killer sudoku etc. and are all known as variants of sudoku. So the question and answer were self explanatory really. T.x
Squids also have three hearts.
Hagfish have four!
(I believe we had this question in another recent quiz, and there were arguments after that one!)
Is it too much to ask for grammatically correct questions?
Don’t see that it really matters, it doesn’t make the question impossible to understand. Comments like that come across as unnecessarily rude.
That was my polite response.
I bet you’re a joy to know.
All look fine to me.
I think we all knew what the question meant.
Phil I can be far to pedantic at times but even I allow for human error! After all Daniel is merely only human like the rest of us and non of us are perfect! T.x
Watch out, you’ll upset the snowflakes in here, like Andrew!
I’ve put an answer, but very puzzled by the spelling of Malbrough plus Maggie’s comment??
As a kiwi I know the spelling should be Marlborough. That’s also how its spelled on the bottle of wine I’m currently drinking 😀🥂
Think its meant to say Marlborough
Taken from google
Marlborough is a well-known wine-producing region in New Zealand. Thanks to aggressive growth in the export market, the Marlborough wine region is now responsible for the production of 77% of New Zealand’s wine. The most popular varietal is Sauvignon blanc, closely followed by Pinot noir and Chardonnay.
Apologies – This was a typo and has since been corrected. Thanks! Daniel
should that be Marlborough??
I thought the same?
hornetcarp & Stuart, no, the spelling is correct, my sister lives in this country. Good luck to you both !🤞🍀☺️
are you sure??? google doesn’t find anything just says ‘malbrough’ is french for ‘duke of marlborough’!!
My bad guys, I didn’t check the spelling properly and relied on stupid predictive texting, I’m gonna sit in the dunces corner now.🤦🏻♀️🥺😞
Apologies – This was a typo and has since been corrected. Thanks! Daniel
Bit late now? Changing the question late in the day seems a bit iffy.
Hi Phil. The question wasn’t changed, this was just referring to the misspelling, which was corrected when it was spotted. Thanks, Daniel
I should know this one today I live in Birkenhead 😁🤣
I live in Bootle and my boyfriend lives in Birkenhead!
Hope you won with peoples postcode lottery it was birkenhead today 8th july
Bravo To Birkenhead
08 July 2019 – CH62 1DS – Birkenhead – £30,000
No not me I’m CH43. Nice one to whoever’s won though 🙂 x
My bf is in CH43 too. We don’t do PPL, we do the free one Pick my Postcode. We’ve both been so close so many times, but miss is as good as a mile…literally!
I hope the one you mean is the one that says ‘That’s why mum’s go to ……’
because the only other one I can think of was ‘Loved by kids approved by mum’s’ but that was axed after claims it was sexist! 🤦♀️ This is the hardest one so far!! T.x
That was the only one I could think of too. Very hard.
Hi Tracy. Yes, that is the same company who originally used the slogan ‘Mums Love It’. Good Luck, Daniel
Taken from google
Iceland historically advertised with the slogan “Mums Love It”, which was changed to “Are we doing a deal or are we doing a deal?” and “Feel the deal” in the early 2000s.
🦋 Todays clue is sooooo easy ! It’s the year my youngest son was born so a bit hard for me to get wrong ! 🤣🦋
I assumed it meant what day of the week which is Wednesday this year, It is December 25th Every year not just 2019 so I don’t think that’s what is wanted.
It falls on Christmas
Is 25 December not the right answer?
I thought it meant the day it falls on not the date it’s on lol 🤷♀️ T.x
Hi Tracy. That is correct. It is asking for the day not date 🙂 Good Luck, Daniel
I forgot to check my calendar as I fell asleep so I missed that one.
Hi Phil. No. It is the day not date 😉 Good Luck, Daniel
So should today’s answer be in writing or numerical? 🤔🤦♀️😏 T.x
Hi Tracy. It doesn’t matter. If you get the correct answer you get the two points 🙂 Good Luck, Daniel
Thanks Daniel I put both just in case T.x